Does lighting help prevent predator attacks?

Madisan

Songster
7 Years
Jun 5, 2015
Florida
Hi everyone,
A few nights ago there was a young fox in my front yard.. I have 2 pit bulls that stay outside at night and they chased it outta the yard. But anyways, my neighbor also has chickens and they got woken up at 1:30 in the morning from their dogs barking and they said they had a young fox in their yard (I'm guessing the same one) their chickens were okay! But my coop is directly behind my house maybe only 15 feet away from my back door and my out side light shines directly on the coop all night. Will this make the fox or other predators hesitant to attack because they will be in the "spotlight" ?

A fox, maybe, a racoon less so. I think the dogs will be a better guard then the light.
It will help some. But raccoons are very clever and can figure out when a light means danger and when it can be ignored.
X2........... If lights were the solution, we all would have no predator issues to contend with much.

I think if hungry they will hunt in the day. There are some on here who swear they only hunt at night, but that has not been my experience. My experience is a hungry animal is a desperate animal and they will do whatever nessisary to eat. This includes taking larger risks, like daytime hunting and attacking larger prey. Winter tends to make animals more desperate.

A fox, maybe, a racoon less so. I think the dogs will be a better guard then the light.
It will help some. But raccoons are very clever and can figure out when a light means danger and when it can be ignored.

X2...........    If lights were the solution, we all would have  no predator issues to contend with much. 

Yes, and please keep in mind coyotes can trick and kill your dogs. They send one coyote as bait and provoke your dogs to chase. Then lead your dogs into an ambush, even dogs as large as yours will succumb to a large pack of coyotes.
There is no one good solution.

Thanks for all the answers. I have never seen coyotes out here, only foxes and raccoons, my neighbor who has lived here for 20 years says he's never seen or heard any coyotes either out here. But that doesn't mean they aren't here! And that's scary because I have horses and other animals in my front pasture :(

Great-horned Owls, Red Fox, Raccoons, and Opossums are predators that would come up on my front porch after chickens even a motion detector turned lights on. Myself or dogs had to actually drive predators off which light sometimes helped train predators that bad guys were about.

Thanks for all the answers. I have never seen coyotes out here, only foxes and raccoons, my neighbor who has lived here for 20 years says he's never seen or heard any coyotes either out here. But that doesn't mean they aren't here! And that's scary because I have horses and other animals in my front pasture :(

Coyotes will not bother your horses. If they were desperate they might take a colt, but the Mare would have to be not around at all.
We have a large pack of coyotes here, we also have cattle. The coyotes give the cows a wide berth, knowing one kick will kill.

I have no colts. Just full size adult horses. And speaking of foxes I was just driving home and a fox ran out in front of me and ran into the woods next to my neighbors house.. This was literally just 5 minutes ago and it's 7:30 AM here. It was red, but way bigger than the one me and my neighbor have had in our yards.. I've never seen one during the day. I thought they were nocturnal?

Back
Top Bottom