1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does Micro-Chipping your animals - NAIS related?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by country freedom, Dec 12, 2009.

1. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

My DF asked me about doing this to his cat, Little One, since Little One likes to run outside from time to time.
    I'm definitely, not for it, if it means it is related to NAIS.

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It has nothing to do with NAIS. It's to help identify lost pets and get them back to their owners. Our dog has one.

3. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    chipping your pet has nothing to do with NAIS,,and is a good idea if they tend to run,,but it wont do any good if they dont reg the chip number with the correct info.

4. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Microchipping is good. It just implants a number in your cat. There are universal scanners used at humane societies and veterinary clinics that read these numbers.
    They contact the appropriate microchip manufacturer (you can tell which one it is by the way the number looks) and as long as you have kept them current with your contact information, that company gives them the way to get your kitty back home.
    Microchips also help veterinarians return your stray kitty to you when it wanders into your neighbor's house. People know about these things and take animals to be scanned if they find a stray.
    If they end up in a shelter, being chipped means they will give you a call!

Just make sure that you keep the microchip company informed when you move or change phone numbers.

It is a great Christmas present to give to your cat.

Hope that helps.

5. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, so I don't need to spazz out - a relief!
    Well, Micro-Chipping we will do.

Thank you for your informative answers!

6. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    It's nothing to worry about for dogs and cats (yet.) It's pretty inexpensive, about $25 at our vet. Our dog is chipped, in case he ever gets lost or taken (bless the fool who would try-HA!) I think it's a good idea for pets who have outdoor access. I, too, am vehement against NAIS; but that is a totally separate system being developed for livestock. Unfortunately our lovely gov signed premises ID into WI law several years ago. I will be civilly disobediant. Just let them try to keep shoving it down our throats. Folks can only be pushed so far.

7. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Microchipping is good, but microchipping and a tatoo is even better. A tatooed animal (usually on the inside thigh) cannot be sold for research, and a tattoo is not going to be missed or unread like sometimes microchips alone are.

8. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:Is that a law? I'd never heard that before. That's what worries me most about animal theft - research labs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by