Does momma use a hygrometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by halo, Dec 5, 2007.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    So Im reading how everyone is getting so nervous if their humidity isnt within certain ranges before 18 days, and then a different range after 18 days. Is this following Mother Natures path? Does Momma Chicken have these same humidity ranges? How does she keep the humidity high enough when hatching her own eggs?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Good questions...

3. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I was wondering the same thing. Seems to me that the mother must have some effect because she plucks all her feathers off her tummy when she starts brooding.

4. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:My broody didn't do that, but maybe because the weather was turning? She hatched 11 chicks out in the woods, hidden under some brush.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    "Momma" has a less successful hatch rate doing it naturally.

Nothing wrong with that, but if you are looking for a high hatch rate you need to be concerned about the humidity. [​IMG]

6. jenichick

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Huh,,, [​IMG] I thought they all did that, maybe it was because it was October/November and she wanted to keep them warmer by keeping her skin in contact with the eggs. She's just now getting all her feathers back and she hatched them a month ago.

7. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:What breed was yours? Mine was a Barred Rock

8. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:11 very lively chicks and there were only a few eggs that didn't hatch, I'd consider that a pretty good hatch rate. [​IMG] Maybe she was just lucky.

9. jenichick

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Mine was a Silver grey Dorking and it was hatching sex-link chicks. She hatched 9 out of 10 fertile eggs and 1 died. I hatched 8 out of 12 eggs and two died. She's got a little better rate than me so far.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  10. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    I can't be positive, but doesn't a broody hen stay on her egg the last couple days? I know they get up to eat and drink the first 2 weeks, but don't they stay on and not move the last couple?
    If so I would think that would naturally increase the humidity and also increase and stablize the temp for the last 2-3 days.
    But what do I know I've never watch a broody hen from start to finish. I just know they are broody when they disappear for a couple days and I don't see them as often, then before I know it a dozen little ones are running around.

Cory

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by