Does my Ameraucana stand a chance in a fair show? (Pics)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dcsandgren, Jul 10, 2010.

1. dcsandgren

dcsandgren Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Medford, OR
    I am going to be entering in our local fair for the first time with 2 of my pullets. I purchased 6 pullets; 4 Buff Laced Polish pullets, and 2 Ameraucana's.
    I was originally wanting to show one of my Polish chickens... But I don't think they are show quality after reading a few posts.
    I am going to be entering this Ameraucana, Fallen. I am entering her either way but... Do you think she will stand a chance in the fair?

Fallen, my 8 week old Ameraucana.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Sorry she's not an Ameraucana she's an Easter Egger which isn't a pure breed she is beautiful though.Does your fair have a class for non pure-breeds?If so enter her and have fun you never know...we have both Ameraucana's and EE's and I would put her in my EE flock without a second thought.If not she would get a DQ for not being an Ameraucana.It's so confusing since hatcheries and feed stores as well as many back yard "breeders" call them Ameraucana's.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    HBuehler is right, she's an EE, not a pure Ameraucana. True Ameraucanas only come in Black, White, Buff, Wheaten and Blue/Black/Splash and they breed true to those colors. EE's come in every color of the rainbow and when you hatch them, you never know what you're going to get!

She's is gorgeous, though! Check the class list, they may have an open pullet class she can enter.

4. dcsandgren

Jul 2, 2010
    Medford, OR
    Quote:Ah okay... I don't think there is a class for non-purebreds. I'm so bummed, the person we got her from said she was an Ameraucana. Yeah it is confusing, but that shows how little I know about the breed. I guess I'll just have to stick with one of my Polish chickens. Thank you for letting me know.

5. TIA73

TIA73 New Egg

Feb 23, 2010
    She is cute for sure, but the APA only recognizes 5 color varieties, so she would be DQ'd for her coloring alone:(
    I love her little grey head though!!

6. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I hate to tell you, but that is a cockeral. sorry. [​IMG]

7. Yessur Ebob

Yessur Ebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Southernbelle, I thought that ameraucanas came in silver-duckwing too. [​IMG]

8. dcsandgren

Jul 2, 2010
    Medford, OR
    Quote:Are you sure? That's what I thought in the first place, but everyone was telling me it was a she...
    I'll have to wait and see now. I'll have to get rid of one of them if she/he IS a he. Gah [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  9. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:Are you sure? That's what I thought in the first place, but everyone was telling me it was a he...
    I'll have to wait and see now. I'll have to get rid of one of them if she/he IS a he. Gah [​IMG]

I am positive, sorry. I know how it is [​IMG]

10. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    agreed EE and also agreed its a cockeral [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by