Does my baby chicken need help getting out?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickengirl1230, Feb 14, 2015.

1. chickengirl1230

chickengirl1230 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, I have never hatched eggs before and my first egg started to have a little crack :ya
    Do I need to help it get out if the crack hasn't been getting bigger? How long will it take to get out? I can hear it peeping and it is so exiting! :weee
    Thanks in advance
    Taylor
    :thumbsup

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    No don't try and get the chick out of the egg. From that little Pip it can take upto 24 hours before it actually hatches there is no need to help it. My last hatch I had one with just the pip for about 23 hours before it hatched. Leaving nature to do its thing is the best option, chicks that hatch on their own are more healthy and stronger. During this time while it just has the small pip the chick needs to absorb the yolk sac and the blood vessels and it will also do a lot of resting before it hatches so don't panic if you can't hear it peeping all the time it will be fine.

Patience really needs to be your friend now and you need to sit on your hands and let nature takes its course. Wishing you the best of luck and keep us posted!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi Taylor, Congrats but, WAIT!!! You don't want to open the incubator which will allow the humidity to lower and jeopardize all the eggs. Chicks often take breaks during hatching - it's hard work for them. Go to The Learning Center Tab and read all of the Hatching 101 info. and raising chicks info. It will give you something to do while you are waiting and you should read 2x when and how to help if, you need to assist later.[​IMG] lol

4. chickengirl1230

Ok thank you I was afraid that it would suffocate in the egg if it was in there too long and some website said the shell might be too thick. I put the incubator in my house so I could look through the windows daily and all night I heard it pecking and peeping lol :lau

5. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    My hatch is starting a day early so, I didn't even look at the incubator until I heard peeps and one was already out and walking around bumping the other eggs. lol The good thing and the bad thing about my Janoel incubator I use as a hatcher - it is hard to see all the eggs or their progress until pips are big. lol Good Luck with your hatch!

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi guys!!

How are your hatches going? Good I hope :fl

7. chickengirl1230

[​IMG]
    Look what I saw this morning!

8. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Is it still not fully hatched out of the shell?

9. Strader

Strader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    I try to leave them alone and not open incubator as this creates humidity issues for all the eggs. How many hours since this egg first opened?
    Is the chick still moving and working at getting out?

10. chickengirl1230

After about 30 hrs it finally hatched and I named her valentine since she worked all Valentine's Day. :pop None of the other game bantams have a pip yet so if I don't get any more of those to hatch, I will put some silkies in the broodery with it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by