Does my broody hen box look ok? Lots of Pics!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bridgettesd, Oct 17, 2013.

1. bridgettesd

bridgettesd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    We have our first broody Basque hen sittin on plastic eggs in the nest box. Tonight we plan to move her to the outdoor broody box. Saturday, we will pick up a dozen eggs and do the switch sat. night. Does the box look ok. Any any tips I should know for the next couple of days?

One section has a dust bath. The other section has food water and shaving piled over a piece of rigid insulation.

THanks!
    Bridgette
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bridgettesd

Jan 1, 2013
    Just a note. I have been pulling her off the clutch each morning to eat and then she runs across the yard and then returns shortly after. I plan to keep the door to the box open during the day and hopefully the other hens wont bother her in there.

3. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    Beautiful! Maybe some windows would be good too.[​IMG]

4. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    i wouldnt pull her off. she'll get off when she wants/needs to.

5. bridgettesd

Jan 1, 2013
    Hi tec27,

Actually she came off and went back to the coop so I moved the plastic eggs, made a broody box in there with poultry netting and placed the 11 eggs under her last night. She seems happy as larry. lesson learned.....go with mama.

Do I need to worry about too much cold air. The pop door is wide open and the main door is screened and she sits just inside to left 18" up.
    See pic.....
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by