Does my chick have splayed legs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazy chook, May 27, 2010.

1. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Does my little chick have splayed legs, it is 11 days old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One leg forward one leg back. Should I try to put a bandaid on to pull its legs together?

2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I would say yes

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Certainly looks splayed -- from everything I've read this is very easy to correct. I would waste no time taping it up. And by the way, that is a very cute chick.

Jenny

4. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    OK, so I did the bandaid thing but she/he does not like it and is now refusing to stand and is rolling around and SQUAWKING. So I took it off and he/she shut up straight away and is walking around. Will it get any worse to the point where she can't walk? What do I do next if not nothing?

She is in the brooder with pine shavings on the ground and paper towel on top - has been since she was born. She can walk and feed and drink on her own just walks odd![​IMG]

5. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    Yes! I have a meat bird with 2 bad legs I have to hold her up so she can get a drink, we didn't catch it soon enough and splinting didn't work, there are some good threads on splinting and chairs to put them in I would work real hard at trying to fix it if you can or it will just get worse. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by