Does my chick have spraddle legs????

myluckychucks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Ontario Canada
Hi Everyone:
I'm new to this forum but have been checking out Backyard chickens for a while. I have had chickens for over 35 years (mostly banties) and haven't had too many health problems but I recently bought some 4 week old mixed breed chicks and have a problem that I don't know how to fix. That's if I can. I'm almost positive this little ?? girl is a jersey giant. She is 10 weeks old now and when I first got her she had a little trouble walking and seemed to sit a lot. She reminded me exactly of a meat bird the way she moved around. I don't think they got the best feed in the first 4 weeks from the breeder but I feed good quality feed and have added vitamin supplements. She's still unsteady on her feet and sometimes ( not always) when walking her legs aren't straight up and down but slightly splayed out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her? She's too sweet to get rid of.

:welcome does it walk like that all the time or just sometimes ?
for spraddle leg I use vet wrap. just a thin lenght and wrap their legs together just a hair wider then normal below the "knees". and supervise around the water .

I'm sorry this girl is giving your trouble.
Could you possible post a few pictures of her legs/the way she stands?

:frowWelome to BYC.
This video should help you learn how to navigate this site better:
Get settled in then share some pictures of your flock.

20170706_161907.jpg 20170706_162108.jpg 20170706_162007.jpg She walks like this all the time. Sort of unsteady, wobbly. Her wings are held perfectly normally so I've ruled out botulism although she would have been better by now anyway because I've had her 6 weeks. Here are a few pics. I tried for video but she only goes a few steps then sits down. 20170706_162108.jpg

ahh, Not spraddle. Does her foot always turn in like that ? Could be twisted bone or crap, cant think of the right word. whe joint is out of place where it joins the body.

Back
Top Bottom