Does my chick look sick?

Pics

JustBabyMargo

Hatch-aholic
Premium Feather Member
Jul 7, 2021
Oregon
Hi! My chick has just been acting kind of sleepy. I was just wondering if this is because she’s growing in all of these new feathers or if there is actually something wrong? She doesn’t really have interest in food and I force fed her some mash. Thanks in advance for any help!
9DAF096E-9FF4-46BF-8F27-73A640419778.jpeg

Hi! My chick has just been acting kind of sleepy. I was just wondering if this is because she’s growing in all of these new feathers or if there is actually something wrong? She doesn’t really have interest in food and I force fed her some mash. Thanks in advance for any help! View attachment 2822473
Oh also one of the other chicks was running around with a shaving that looked like it maybe had blood on it? We have dealt with chicks pooping blood due to eating shavings though.....

The chick is sick. But we can't tell you what's wrong from just the photo.

The most common cause of chicks acting sick is constipation. If you are giving treats to your chicks without offering chick grit, it's likely the problem. Give coconut oil chilled to a solid state and slipped into the beak until you get about a teaspoon into the sick chick.

Another possibility is coccidiosis if the chicks have been on natural soil for a week. Could that be a possibility? Also, check the feed for spoilage and dampness. The same for bedding that may have started to mold.

The chick is sick. But we can't tell you what's wrong from just the photo.

The most common cause of chicks acting sick is constipation. If you are giving treats to your chicks without offering chick grit, it's likely the problem. Give coconut oil chilled to a solid state and slipped into the beak until you get about a teaspoon into the sick chick.

Another possibility is coccidiosis if the chicks have been on natural soil for a week. Could that be a possibility? Also, check the feed for spoilage and dampness. The same for bedding that may have started to mold.
Okay! No they have never been outside. They live in a stock tank in my garage.😉

What does her poop look like?

Have you treated for Coccidiosis? Got any Corid?

I've never had chicks poop blood due to eating shavings. Do you provide grit?
I haven’t seen her poop.

We haven’t treated for coccidiosis because I don’t know how she would come in contact with it?

I don’t yet. I was worried they would eat too much but I can!😉

Back
Top Bottom