Does my chicken have Coccidia?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilyLovesBugs, Dec 8, 2012.

1. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The last few days she has been sitting down a lot. She is still eating, drinking laying, her stools look normal. She is still active, she jumped on top of their coop today, walking around, but I'm jsut worried because she often will just stand in the penguin postion. She is still young, only 35 weeks. She is the only chicken that is doing it

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Usually when they have coccidiosis they stand around in a corner or someplace quiet, all fluffed up. Generally don't eat much and just look unwell. Sometimes they have runny stool's, sometimes not. If this has been going on for a few days and she's otherwise still active and eating I very much doubt coccidiosis. Once they have that it moves fast and usually kills fast so a bird that's been acting off for several days but is still eating etc. probably has something else going on.

But, all that said, it certainly won't hurt her to run a round of Corid if you just want to make sure and be on the safe side.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with Cafarmgirl, not cocci. Penguin stance usually indicates eggbound.

4. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    She is still laying but thank you! Glad to know she doesn't have it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by