Does my chicken have worms? - Pics are now here

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Slater1995, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Slater1995

Slater1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a silver laced wyndot who has been eating and drinking. Her Crop is full but she is very thins and week. She has had strange poop for about 2 weeks. we have to keep cleaning out her vent and cries sometimes when she poops. She is 18 weeks, I think she is a she. I will post a pic. of her underside so you can see how thin she is and a picture of her head so you can tell me if she is a hen. I went ahead and am treating for worms because she is really week and I am worried about her. I lost on of my teens yesterday who looked the same.

can anyone tell me the symptoms of worms and how to tell for sure. After you treat, do the dead worms come out in the poop like with dogs or do they just get absorbed in the system. Pics coming in a few. Min.

Thanks,
    Teresa

This is a picture of under her. You can see the bone sticking up and the sides are sunk in. Worms cause this?
    [​IMG]

Is she a she?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I WHAT?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Slater1995

Quote:Read again, I had a finger slip. SORRY

4. Slater1995

bump

5. Sir Birdaholic

My first guess would be worms, & yes, they pass them in the droppings. I have to look at the tail to see rooster or not, but different people tell in different ways.

6. Slater1995

Quote:She as no tail. It got picked off. Won't grow back until molt

7. Sir Birdaholic

Then I'd have to wait for an egg or a crow. [​IMG]

8. NattyK

NattyK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    Whether it be hen or rooster I would boost it's nutrition with some scrambled eggs and yogurt or something. It looks pretty poor. Good luck.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If your chicken had a worm infestation, you may or may not see worms in its poop, it's possible they couldve been absorbed as protein within its system and/or excreted. I agree with NattyK...Yogurt as a probiotic and scrambled egg as extra protein mixed in its feed to make a mash and give it to your chicken to rebuild its immunity and strength.

10. Slater1995

she is doing much better. I treated her with wormer and also Vet Rx. She is eating on her own.

Sorry I have not updated. I am at Childrens Hospital with my daughter, I just got my computer this morning.

Thanks for the great advise, I will add the eggs and such to her feed.

Teresa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by