does my duck have bumblefoot? *update pics*

obe10

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Irmo, South Carolina
i have 6 year old (more or less) white pekin duck (she is a sweetie) named willie. for awhile i have been noticing a round black scab on one of her toes on each foot. could it be bumblefoot? it gives her no problem what-so-ever she seems to be in no pain and never hobbles. the run has a dirt floor and was built as an add on to the coop which used to be a dog pen it has cement floor. what i have suspected for a long time is that she was rubbing her feet raw on the cement but i have recently heard of bumblefoot in chickens could this happen in ducks to?
tomorrow i will try to get a picture of her foot for ya'll
let me know what you think,

bay

Last edited:
Well I thought that I would respond to your post just to say yes ducks can get bumblefoot however I have never had to deal with it so MAYBE someone will be willing to help you out.
(I know what posting for help and never getting a response feels like)

thank you barbk
big_smile.png
i will try to get a pic tomorrow so someone can tell me if it is bumblefoot i know that if it is i will have to cut the plug out and pretty much cut a hole in her poor little toe
sad.png
i don't think it is but just to be on the safe side i want to know... i doesn't bother her at all but i swear it looks exactly like bumblefoot the swelling and the scab ext.

Last edited:
if it is bumblefoot you can soak her food in epson salt water and try squeezing after a good 20 minute soak. Bandage her foot up with nerosporin and do it every2-3 days until the plug works its way out or you can get it out. I wouldn't let her have acess to water or you will have to change the bandage daily. Good luck with her
smile.png

ok i got some pictures of her foot today here they are
36766_pics_296.jpg

36766_pics_297.jpg

36766_pics_298.jpg

looks a lot like bumblefoot doesn't it?! yet it doesn't bother her at all hmmm could it just be rubbing agents the cement and be raw? it has been there for a long time and when i heard about bumblefoot i thought that might be it

Last edited:
You know, that does look like bumblefoot, HOWEVER, if it isn't bothering her, I honestly would leave it be. I see lots of people 'operating' for bumblefoot, but if the area is not swollen to the point of having a soft middle in it, like a boil does, I wouldn't open the area up to more bacteria. Now obviously if the chicken/duck is having problems walking, appears in pain, and the area has swollen and has the soft middle, then yes I would treat it by lancing the area, and removing what I could.

Interesting to note, there's been many posts on here about infection in poultry. It seems that they don't have the runny pus from infection that you see with mammals. It forms a hard cheese like substance, from what has been posted by numerous people here. In humans, we would say that the infections has colonized, and isn't a threat to surrounding tissue, organs. Without really knowing, I'm wondering if the bumblefoot that is showing in many flocks, isn't colonized as well, and therefore no major threat to the health of the flock.

Knock on wood, none of mine have shown bumblefoot. Therefore, obviously I haven't had to treat for it. I do know that any time the skin is cut though, you're removing a major defensive line, and opening up the body to many different bacteria. I do NOT know whether this is true in poultry or not, but in humans, staph infections are all the skin. Typically they do no harm. However, if the skin barrier is broken by any means, a cut/scratch/surgery/etc., then the staph can become a problem, and cause infection. If the staph is normally on chickens skin, it would make sense then that cutting that skin opens it up for the staph to take over.

I don't have a bird vet to talk to, but if I did, I would ask if the 'bumble foot' is poultry's way of securing the infection in one spot, aka colonizing it, and therefore should be left alone, unless it's causing other problems.

Sorry for the long post, and I doubt you got much help from it. I'm sorry, as my mind was wandering, and wondering. I hope your duck will be OK.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom