Does my duckling have an eye infection?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ecrewe, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Ecrewe

Ecrewe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2016
    I have four Pekin/ runner ducklings who are being looked after by a silkie hen. Recently my ducklings have begun to develop dark, matted feathers around their eyes. I'm not sure whether they have an eye infection or if they are simply getting dirty. Please help. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Ecrewe

Aug 29, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. SlipperyGoose

SlipperyGoose Just Hatched

Aug 28, 2016
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    That's interesting... His eyes look healthy to me. The don't look swollen, no discharge (even though the hair is matted) it's not like green gunk coming from his eye. Have you smelled it? Do his eyes smell bad or anything? If they're acting normal as well, I wouldn't worry too much right now.

Could they be exposed to any fine particulates anywhere that could be irritating their eyes enough to make them water?

1 person likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    1 person likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really True BYC Addict

How cute....It is fine...Just tiny eye feathers growing in....Just wait till they start growing all the feathers....too cute...You will really worry then....Haha! Kidding!

Cheers

6. Ecrewe

Aug 29, 2016
    Thank you for all your help. I've cleaned of the dirt and they look fine now. I think I will make a deeper water container so they can wash their whole head.

7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    That's a good idea... :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by