Does my EE fit the Americauna standard?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SmittenChicken, Jun 29, 2010.

1. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    This is my lowest chicken on the totem pole, Tender:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got her along with 3 others labeled as "Araucanas" (riiiight) They are all from McMurray, I got them at my local farm store. Her sisters Szechwan, Cutlet and Nugget (RIP) were all of the chipmunk variety and are most certainly EEs, but she was a pale yellow chick and is now a beautiful peachy color with a few blue feathers and gray legs (her sisters' legs are more green). Unfortunately, she is extremely skittish and impossible to catch, but she seems to be a good lookout for my more docile ladies. She's about 11.5 weeks in these photos.

From what I've read, it sounds like she might qualify as an actual Americauna based on her coloring. I am assuming that most hatchery "Araucanas" are EEs, but that occasionally the right genes get combined to produce an Americauna. What do you guys think, did I luck out?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    She really doesn't, but don't worry, she's pretty anyhow! I have some EEs and I've had some Ameraucanas from a breeder, and I like them both. If you google "Ameraucana Breeders Club" that website is really helpful with pics of colors and conformation so you can see what a true Ameraucana would look like......very interesting.

Thanks for sharing the pic! I adore my EEs! Don't care if they're "just EEs"......I think they're beautiful!

[​IMG]

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    No,
    Sorry to say it's no where close.
    Leg color is wrong, the lack of a beard, un-recognized color and incorrect body type is what I see.
    http://www.ameraucana.org/

Very nice looking EE though...

Chris

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  4. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    nope.

5. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I was hoping I might get some true blue eggs from her, but I love her all the same [​IMG]

On a side note, how do your EEs compare with your other birds in terms of friendliness? 2 of my 3 EEs are the most skittish birds in my flock, and I'm wondering if this is a common trait? Not that I mind, the colored eggs will more than make up for it!

6. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    Quote:i only have EEs, but mine are pretty tame and friendly. the only time they actually run from me is when i need them to come in for the night [​IMG] Otherwsie they run to us for treats and such.

she is reallly pretty [​IMG]

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have an EE pullet that looks just like yours. I think they have pretty coloring. When she was little, dh thought she was gonna be a boy and named her Hawkeye Pierce lol.

8. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    LOL that has got to be farthest from the Ameracauna standard that an EE can get [​IMG] She is very pretty though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by