Does my head look like a perch?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PotterWatch, Jun 1, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Our coop is about 3ft off the ground and we don't have a ramp to it yet so the girls just fly/hop in and out when they want. I am planning on putting a ramp up, just haven't gotten around to it yet. My 7 week old EE, Luna, has apparently decided that my head is a much more comfortable landing spot than the ground. When I open the coop, she hangs out at the edge and as soon as I start to walk away she jumps and flies up onto my head! She makes sure she's at the back of my head so that I can't easily grab her. Since she seems to have no interest in jumping off even if I crouch down so her jump to the ground is small, she still stays perched in my hair. The last two days I have had to ask my 6yo son to rescue me, lol. Silly chicken!

2. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Last time one of my chicks did this, he pooped on me...one of those nice runny ones that stink. I don't let them on my head anymore [​IMG]

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Our Ameraucana aka Diva Chicken flies or jumps onto my back when I bend over, onto my chest or shoulder when I stand nearby and just plain does not understand....ME human HER chicken NOT parrot.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  4. OtneyPrice

OtneyPrice Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    Try to dissuade her by wearing a hat with a big brim that might make her flight approach more difficult. You could even try putting something on the hat like fake flowers or even a "stovepipe top" of tin foil - anything that might make the chicken think twice about landing on the "perch".

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I can just see myself walking out in a tinfoil hat... my family already thinks I'm crazy, lol.

6. Horsewell

Horsewell Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    England
    My ranger cookie does this to me haha, the moment i open to coop in the mornings she jumps out and wont leave me alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by