Does my hen have an egg she can't get out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emmyb58, Sep 12, 2011.

1. emmyb58

emmyb58 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Silverton Oregon
    [​IMG]I have a 5 1/2 month old Buff Orpington that has a be red bulge in her back side. She is just sitting in the inside of the hen door. She looks really uncomfortable. It has been about 5 hours since I noticed. Any help on what to do? I am new to all of this. Thanks

There was an egg that had a very thin membrane over it. I made a tiny slit and got the egg out. But her vent looks like it has bloody hemmorroids. Anything I can do to make it get better. We put her in a pen in the hen house till morning with food and water. I really would love some feed back if you have ideas. thanks

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    The only thing I have done for post egg boundness is a warm water soak and keep separate until dry and reddness/swelling is down a little. If you are able to keep an eye on her you might not have to separate her. The other hens will be curious about her red swollen bum and may peck at it. Mine did. Keeping her in a dark cool place separate from the others will discourage her from laying for a day or two which also could benefit her healing more quickly.

Not to freak you out but once a hen has an egg bound issue they will be much more likely to have more instances of it happening.

3. emmyb58

emmyb58 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Silverton Oregon
    Thank you, When you say a warm water soak. Do you mean actually putting her in the sink with some warm water or putting a warm water soak towel on her bum? I love my chickens and just want to do the best I can for them.

4. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Stick her in the sink, tub, or a big bucket full of warm water and let her soak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by