Does my hen have bumblefoot?

Harun

Songster
Apr 10, 2021
One of my 2 brown girls seems to have two brown circles on both of her feet. She hangs out on a higher perch and flies down from it when ready to leave the coop. She's quite hefty as well. Here are pictures of the two brown spots:
If she has bumblefoot, how do I get rid of it?

Attachments

• JPEG_20210615_194321_5141433323753021562.jpg
    JPEG_20210615_194321_5141433323753021562.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 8
  • JPEG_20210615_194442_5003069076754400224.jpg
    JPEG_20210615_194442_5003069076754400224.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 8
They look like bumbles to me. There are some good threads on treating it. Just use the search bar on this site.

They look like bumbles to me. There are some good threads on treating it. Just use the search bar on this site.
I have her in an Epsom Salt bath which is a supposed remedy that first comes to mind. Are the brown spots supposed to disappear quickly or gradually.

It will take a few weeks of daily soaking. You can reduce that time by picking at the scabs after soaking until you get to the gungy bit inside and pull out the plug, if there is one. If you do that, you'll need to apply antibiotic ointment and wrap the foot afterwards to keep the wound clean. If you are just soaking then you don't need to wrap.

It will take a few weeks of daily soaking. You can reduce that time by picking at the scabs after soaking until you get to the gungy bit inside and pull out the plug, if there is one. If you do that, you'll need to apply antibiotic ointment and wrap the foot afterwards to keep the wound clean. If you are just soaking then you don't need to wrap.
The first picture with the big and large scab I did pick at while she was in the bath. I read an article talking about how to perform bumblefoot surgery on more serious bumbles. If the large bumble on my girl’s left foot is that bad, do you recommend I try and look for and remove the plug within? I’m willing to if it saves her life, but I’m not certain if their case is that serious. I’m very puzzled right now.

I would try and get it out, yes. Or it will keep causing her trouble. Also, a week of soaking, scab picking and wrapping is quicker and less stress than a month of soaking alone.

If you want to go full on surgery to the bumble, them watch a lot of YouTube videos first and be very prepared with sterilised tweezers and scalpel, ointment, iodine, gauze, vetwrap, and a second pair of hands ideally. If you can get it in one surgery, then it's just wrapping and cleaning and ointment until it heals after which usually takes just a few days.

It all depends on your appetite for intervention, how confident you feel about doing it, and how quickly you want it resolved.

Back
Top Bottom