Does my hen have waterbelly or infection?

Chickenluv22

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2018
USA
Sorry I don’t know how to spell ascities but I’m talking about “water belly”.
One of my hens who is 6 years old has stopped roosting in the nest resently and seems to prefer to sit in the nesting box. Sometimes she does roost but it’s not common. Today she is squatting kind of and walks similar to a duck. I felt her belly and it feels swollen or full of water which is why I’m thinking water belly? Or maybe an infection? I just noticed her acting weird today. She eats drinks and acts normal otherwise but prefers not to walk. Also she was squatting and pooping small amounts at a time. What is wrong with her??? Thanks!
Also she’s not egg bound because it doesn’t feel like an egg and she hasn’t payed an egg in a while, I’m guessing because of her age (6)... she isn’t acting like she needs to lay an egg either.

Ascites is an accumulation of fluid in the abdomen from a liver that is overtaxed or failing. It is a symptom of another underlying issue and can be from organ failure (if a bird is very fat then fatty liver disease is possible) , or often one of many common reproductive problems including internal laying, salpingitis or a cancer. Once a bird develops ascites the long term prognosis is usually poor. Some people drain the fluid which can make them more comfortable for a time, but it will usually recur as the underlying condition is still there. Draining does not come without risk, draining too much, too fast can cause shock and can sometimes be fatal. There are some videos here in post #33 that may help if you choose to try draining: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-on-earth-is-this.1316897/page-4#post-21488752
A hard bloated abdomen can also be a reproductive problem where matter is deposited in the abdomen and builds up. Ascites can also accompany that. Usually a bloated/enlarged abdomen does not have a good prognosis. The fluid or matter puts a lot of pressure on their internal organs, makes it uncomfortable for them to walk and poop, slows digestion sometimes, and may make it harder for them to breathe. Due to the discomfort you should be careful handling her. I generally leave mine with the flock until they are obviously ill, no longer doing normal chicken things, not eating or drinking well, and on some occasions they may get attacked by the other birds (they will instinctively try to drive a weak bird from the flock). Then I don't let them suffer. I'm sorry, none of that is probably what you want to hear. :hugs Unfortunately, it's often impossible to know for sure until after they pass and a necropsy is done.

Back
Top Bottom