Does my hen look healthy enough? New & Clueless

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by VA Lady, Sep 20, 2010.

1. VA Lady

VA Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    We got our first 4 chickens back in May when they were just tiny things and recently two of the three hens started laying eggs. Interestingly enough the smallest of the three is laying the largest eggs (they look like a normal size "large" to me). Being a paranoid "mom" I'm a little worried about my small girl though... She looks pretty healthy to me but I'm new to chickens and I'm concerned that she's undersized and/or that laying these big eggs (and also being the rooster's favorite) could take it's toll on her. When they are roaming the yard she's often leading the way but in the coop sometimes the other two will pick on her a bit too. I'm hoping to get some feedback on how she looks from her photos - if anyone thinks she doesn't look healthy I'm willing to find a way to separate her for a break (or any other ideas anyone has!).
    Her name is Rosie and she's my sweetest bird - in the photos she's the little red hen with bits of white here and there:

Size comparison:

[​IMG]

This is a side shot of her behind the biggest hen:

[​IMG]

2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    She looks pretty good to me... Does her breast bone have a small layer of fat/skin over it? If yes she looks great! [​IMG] by the way [​IMG]

Good Luck,
    Maddie

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  3. captainmom

captainmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Centralia IL
    First I would like to say that I love your birds, especially(sp) the one in front, or to the far right on the first pic. Any idea what she is, or is she a mix? Anyway, your smallest hen looks to me to be a Cinnamon Queen, and mine are also alittle smaller than the other hens but they all lay a BIG brown egg. That is what they were bred for. I have 2 that lay double yolkers every day!!! So she looks the normal size, to me, for her breed. Enjoy those big eggs, they WILL get bigger as she becomes more mature.

4. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    What is that speckled hen?

5. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I believe that's our friendly Moderator!

[​IMG]

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    well, if anything... she's GORGEOUS!!!! yes, looks great to me!

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    she looks fine and heatlhy. nice pics![​IMG]

8. VA Lady

VA Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    Thanks everyone - it's really reassuring to hear that she looks healthy! [​IMG] She is a very sweet little bird and probably my favorite because of it (of course the roo has all the personality!).

The hen on the far right (speckled) is Roxie and she's like the rest of them, a mix or hybrid of some sort. I'm not sure what her mix is but I've posted pics of her before to get others thoughts:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=393590

Roxie loves to fly and lays a smallish egg (but she is young and only been laying a couple weeks) and they're a pretty peach color. This is a pic of 4 of her eggs and one of Rosie's (her first!):

[​IMG]

I think the one on the far left (Sasha) is some sort of EE mix. She has not laid any eggs yet and the roo doesn't even pay much attention to her. I think he is some sort of reverse (swap of usually hen/roo mix) black sex link. He looked just like a hen for a very long time - this is him right before he "blossomed":

[​IMG]

Chickens are great, even though it's a lot of work, and I love these birds. They are all pets and will never see freezer camp. I'm so silly about them now I haven't even been eating chicken! lol

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He sure is a handsome fellow now, and the hens are beautiful too. And I liked the joke about speckled hen MakNugget lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by