Does my miniature look big enough to ride the hens ( successfully)?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bops, Aug 22, 2013.

1. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    [​IMG]
    L-R Mo ( light sussex x ) Shan ( barneldver ) Clog ( her tail counts! Haha she is a blue bell and clog means bell in irish ) and my yet un named miniature sussex! Mo, and Shan are full grown, Clog isnt :)
    Do you think he looks big enough to fertilise the eggs ? Haha weird I know

( they love picking around the old house, and pooping on the wood i need to collect some day! Haha :) )

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, I think that your Light Sussex will be able to fertilize your hens' eggs quite easily. [​IMG]
    On another note, it might not be the best idea to let them run around the old house. There might be nails, sharp boards, splinters, etc that could injure them. Just a heads-up.

3. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    Thank you:)
    They love the place so much, and its full of insects, ill just have to clear it out fully!

4. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Is your rooster nice? My LS rooster was the devil's spawn. He tried to attack me so I hit him with a kid's foam bat, and knocked him backwards. He came at me like 50 times again until I got over to the door then he finally quit.

5. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    Haha he is ok, ive had no major problems with him yet. If he gets upset, he will run away from you, but he isnt that skittish. The only problem was he was riding my oprington too much and ripping up her back. This was sorted by getting two new hens though, which are now "his":)
    I had a light sussex two years ago though, he was a monster, he attacked me a few times, the final straw was when he attacked my cat. I hit him ( the rooster ) with a hurley, and he ran away. My poor cat died:( He was eight years old the poor crater:(
    That was the only animal, ever, i was happy to see the back of. I have one of his offspring around, who is very quiet and tame though, so i guess that myth is wrong :) thankfully

6. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

Sorry about your cat :( i heard the hens are sweet though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by