Does my new white silkie roo have slipped wings?

RooptyDoo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Illinois
I bought a white silkie rooster from a breeder at the silkie nationals and after I brought him home and took a good look at him he appears to have slipped wings. Is this genetic? We just thought that his wings weren't tight and that we could correct it with our hens but after looking at him we realized that wasn't the case. His wings fold over instead of under. He is an excellent boy other than his wings. Great toes, Nice toe spacing, Small comb, Nice cushion with no hard feathers, and Nice feet feathering. He is still young.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what a slipped wing looks like. It doesn't appear too bad to me in the photo. I was told by George M. that you get the absolute best Roo you can find to breed the bad out of a hen.

Hopefully, some Silkie Experts will come along and help you out.

OK I don't have a picture but this is the Term for Slipped Wing as in the American Standard of Perfection.
Slipped Wing: Applies to defects in manner of folding of primary feathers and carriage of the primary section of the wing. Individual feathers may over-lap in reverse order, i.e. over instead of under each other from outer to inner, or thee may be a permanent tendency for entire section to be held outside secondaries instead of under; ether phase or both is a disqualification..

Chris

Last edited:
Here are pics of a cockerel I raised this year. He has horrible wings in my opinion. Otherwise abolutely gorgeous. Spread em out and had split wing for sure. A pullet out of the same pairing also went on to win Res. Ch. FL at a good sized show recently. You can breed from them, but its definitely not something I would want to keep in a rooster especially. It will pass on and you are going to get a percentage of birds you will have to cull/sell with this condition.

PICT1213.jpg

PICT1214.jpg

PICT1205.jpg

He doesn't have slipped wings!!! I showed him to another silkie breeder yesterday and his wings are just loose! I am happy!!! :wee Thank you for all your answers!

Back
Top Bottom