Does my pullet have coccidiosis??

Laylashens

Songster
Apr 19, 2019
Charlottesville, VA
For the past week or two, it has been very humid and rainy. My dad dumped the clippings from his lawnmower into the run of our 12-16 week old pullets, which they devoured before I could take them out. Several hours later, one of our brahmas started seeming off and was worse the past two days. She has little interest in food and is mostly sitting down with her head tucked under her wing. Yesterday I looked at her poop and it was yellow and full of mucus. There is no blood in her poo and I did a full body examination and her crop, skin, and vent are fine and free of mites. The other chickens so far are not sick (it has been about 3 days since she was sick). I put Corid in their water yesterday and she isn't looking any better. I may just be feeling impatient, or is there a possibility that I am not treating them for the right thing? Could it be worms? How else should I treat her?

It would show up in her poop, so gather a poop sample and have your vet run it for coccidia.

But it's more than likely her crop or gizzard is clogged with the grass. Do a crop check. See if it's full and hard and lumpy. To fully examine her for this possibility, she should be placed on toweling so you can inspect her poop. It may be very dry and shriveled, and there won't be any cecal poop if her gizzard is clogged with grass.

The cure is coconut oil given directly into the beak. Massage the crop if it feels hard and lumpy.

She has no sort of blockage in her crop; in fact, it's very empty. Her poops are pretty watery and mucusy, so it's not dry at all. I considered this possibility already and I don't think she has an impacted crop but it doesn't hurt to give her coconut oil anyway.

IMG_6876.jpg
IMG_6880.jpg
IMG_6887.jpg
IMG_6886.jpg
IMG_6890.jpg

Ok. I went to go take pics of Paisley and as a result found bloody poop in the coop. Paisley sleeps in a certain nesting box, and I saw a small amount of normal poop in there and I found the bloody poop more near a roosting bar, so I can't confirm that the blood came from Paisley. However, she could've moved around in the night, and it seems an awful weird coincidence to find bloody poop right after a chicken shows symptoms of coccidiosis. I'm still convinced that is what she has. As I got close to take pics of her, Paisley moved around, as you can see that she walked outside to get away from me. She isn't exceptionally skittish, so she still has the strength to move around without fear as a huge motivator. --In terms of grit, when I first thought that she had intestinal blockage a gave them a bowl, but it has since been knocked over/eaten. I will replace it with new grit ASAP.

Attachments

• IMG_6880.jpg
    IMG_6880.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 3
Ok. I went to go take pics of Paisley and as a result found bloody poop in the coop. Paisley sleeps in a certain nesting box, and I saw a small amount of normal poop in there and I found the bloody poop more near a roosting bar, so I can't confirm that the blood came from Paisley. However, she could've moved around in the night, and it seems an awful weird coincidence to find bloody poop right after a chicken shows symptoms of coccidiosis. I'm still convinced that is what she has. As I got close to take pics of her, Paisley moved around, as you can see that she walked outside to get away from me. She isn't exceptionally skittish, so she still has the strength to move around without fear as a huge motivator. --In terms of grit, when I first thought that she had intestinal blockage a gave them a bowl, but it has since been knocked over/eaten. I will replace it with new grit ASAP.
Well, if you are convinced that's what it is, then continue your full treatment of Corid.

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention that might be important: some of the flock was stretching their neck out and opening their beak wide, as if they had gapeworm. However, there was no gasping noise and most of them stopped after the first day when Paisley started to become sick. I’ve seen Paisley do it a couple of times, and heard that it could also signify that there is some blockage somewhere. How should I administer oil if I want to treat the blockage? I’m worried about her aspirating it.

Stretching of the neck is often adjusting the crop.

It would be a good to idea to do some crop checks first thing in the morning before they eat/drink. Crops should be empty/flat in the morning.

Coconut oil is what I use, refrigerate or freeze it to harden it, then break into chunks. My birds will eat the chunks, so no worries with syringing oil.

What if she doesn’t want to eat it? I tried to get some down her beak with my finger, but she didn’t seem to swallow it and either the oil or some sort of mucus was dripping out of her beak when I opened it. She also is closing one eye periodically and scratching at it.

Back
Top Bottom