1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does my Roo only dance for females???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suburbanminifarm, Dec 19, 2009.

1. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    I have several silkie chicks of various ages, from exactly 1 month to exactly 4 months old. All unknown genders, obviously. It's frustrating, obviously.
    I have one silkie rooster who takes care of everyone. Today we witnessed the roo do a "Dance" for one of the 4 month olds. (the dance with one wing down and skipping/ shuffling sideways, you know) My question is, if I see the rooster "dance" for one of the chicks, does that mean the chick is a girl????? I always thought that dance meant "hey baby! you're cute!"
    I would love to be able to use my faithful roo as a silkie chick sexer! (OK that sounded strange)
    Thanks for your expert advice!

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say no... it does not necessarily mean the cute chick is a girl.
    sorry..
    mine will dance for almost anyone, including people... or when they meet a strange chicken (roo) they don't know it's gender unless it wants to fight. Then the dancing stops & the bickering begins.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, they do that to other roosters. Had a BR cockerel once with Suede and he'd dance for Suede all the time. If a chicken can look horrified, Suede sure did, LOL.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Well darnit. I was really hoping. It stands to reason that another chicken can tell the genders of his flockmates. Why can't he share the info with me? (by his behavior) What on earth is the point of dancing for boys?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What on earth is the point of dancing for boys?

Practice? Honestly, it may be a mild intimidation tactic. They were about 15 weeks old when Maverick started doing that to Suede. It was never the other way around.​

7. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Some of mine dance for the cats and at times tries to mount the cats, ducks, roosters, etc. It is just what they do.
    Roosters are lust gods and they don't care.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by