1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does my Rooster Have Favus or Fowl Pox? Need Help for Treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cocopop, Oct 16, 2013.

1. cocopop

cocopop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    My Favorite Rooster recently got these sores on his comb that I don't recognize being new to chickens. I did some research and I am not sure what he has and how to cure it. I really need some advise Please. When I noticed the sore, I looked at pictures I took a couple days before I notice it. The first picture was taken on 10/9/2013 and the second picture was taken 11/16/2013.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So is this favus a fungal infection or fowl pox caused by mosquitoes? Please Advise?

2. cocopop

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    I am applying neosporin every morning cause I am thinking it is fowl pox sores because of the bumps in the first picture and there was a couple mosquitoes in the hen house when I removed the poop from the hen house. There is pine shavings in the hen house so it wasn't like it was really wet.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. cocopop

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    Thank you so much. I read somewhere I think it was fluffybutt pets or something like that. They said i can use iodine on the sores to speed up healing. I am going to vaccinate the rest of the flock. The feed store gave me a two headed needle to give the vaccinnation and it seems pretty big. Am I suppose to poke them with both heads? They told me to poke through the web of there wings until it reaches the holes of the needles. Will this be bad to use on a month old chick? How much dosage should I give?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Please double check me but I believe you are not supposed to vaccinate any birds while you are having an outbreak on the property since any birds nearby can already have been exposed. I would just let this run it's course, they will be immune after it clears up.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is instructions on fowl pox vaccines, and Jefferspets.com sells a couple of versions. Yes, some people recommend using iodine to dry the pox lesions, but I have had a couple of birds a year with 1 or 2 spots, and they dry up on there own. It's is not a big deal unless you live in the south, or have a huge problem with mosquitoes. Some people here on BYC have had some terrible outbreaks of wet fowl pox this year, but that is not the norm.

7. cocopop

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    Thanks for all the replies and advise. Once I learn more I can contribute more to the site. So cafarmgirlI, I should not vaccinate the other chickens that are in separate pens? I only have the one rooster with pox with two other hens that are exposed but not showing any symptoms. Should I treat for wet pox which is a secondary sickness to fowl pox?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by