Does my rooster know something?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by koopkeeper63, Oct 26, 2016.

1. koopkeeper63

koopkeeper63 New Egg

Aug 2, 2016
    i have yet to get an egg from my 7 girls, but my rooster is mating them today. does he know something that i don't?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Are your birds all the same age? Pullets and a cockerel? Most cockerels mature before most pullets, so they get 'randy' before the girls are ready, or laying eggs. In a flock of mixed ages, the hens decline to be harassed by the youngsters, and the roosters aren't interested in breeding the pullets until they are ready. The cockerels will chase their agemates, however. It tends to calm down as they all mature, as long as there are few enough boys for the number of females. Mary

3. koopkeeper63

koopkeeper63 New Egg

Aug 2, 2016
    Mr Rooster and the girls are all about 22 weeks old. He is the only cockerel with 7 pullets. So he is basically like a middle school aged boy at this point? LOL Thanks for the info!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Yes he is, and he's likely to harass the young ladies beyond what is appropriate. You can either leave him with them and keep an eye on the situation, or remove him, and give the ladies time to grow up a bit before you let him pursue them.

1 person likes this.
  5. Egg - Static

Egg - Static Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2016
    Mississippi
    My rooster rushed a little at first but I kept a eye on them and everything worked out just fine. They all are my happy layers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by