1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does my rooster know...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Melissa2173, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Melissa2173

Melissa2173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Springfield, Georgia
    My boy is almost 18 weeks old. I have 7 pullets that are the same age. No eggs yet but he has been going after 2 particular girls (without much success far as I can tell). Is he only going for these 2 because he senses they are getting ready to lay? Just curious and can't wait for some eggs!!!

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I can't say for sure, but in my experience that seemed to be what was ahppening in my flock.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    My cockerel also only attempts to mate with the more mature pullets. No red face, no cockerel love. I think the younger and less mature ones are benefiting from their week-older flockmates getting his first attempts all to themselves. Those poor girls lost more than a couple neck feathers...

4. Melissa2173

Melissa2173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Springfield, Georgia
    That's what I thought. The two he's been going after are by far more red. It is painful to watch as he's grabbing their combs...ouch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by