Does my rooster need antibiotic?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GretchenM, Mar 13, 2013.

1. GretchenM

GretchenM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    My two-year-old rooster is having an unidentifiable problem. Something is wrong with one of his eyes -- he keeps it closed about half the time. This actually happened several months ago, and after a week or so, he stopped protecting his eye and has seemed fine ever since, except he clearly can't see as well out of that eye. Now, the same eye is bothering him, but in addition, he's been falling asleep on his feet. I have never seen my rooster do this. The hens will nod off when they hunker down in a nice pile of sand or dust, but I haven't seen the rooster sleep even at those times, nor have I seen any of them fall asleep on their feet. So this makes me think something more is wrong.

I wonder if it's infection, because of the apparent drowsiness -- like maybe he's tired from his body fighting off an infection from the eye. Best I can tell, however, the eye is not swollen, no puss, or any other visible sign of an injury. Otherwise, his behavior seems ordinary. The eye problem has been going on for about 4 or 5 days, and I noticed the drowsiness a day or two ago.

Should I give him antibiotics just in case? If so, what kind? If I can get him to consume it somehow, could I give him a bit of macrobid? Should I buy something specifically for fowl? Or do something other than antibiotics?

Thank you so much for any help!

2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Can you get some pictures of him and his eye?

3. GretchenM

Mar 7, 2011
    I've been trying to get pictures, but I'm having trouble. He looks at me with his good eye, not surprisingly, and the times when I've been able to get a good view of his bad eye **with my camera in hand,** he's had that eye closed! It honestly doesn't look any different to me than his good eye, except that the iris is much lighter in the bad eye (and has been for some time). I'll keep trying, though. I appreciate your concern!

4. earthfriendlyfarm

earthfriendlyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Ellijay
    Hey, does he have good weight on him? I have had wonderful success with an herb called Olive Leaf Extract. I buy the liquid and add a little water with a few drops and using a Insulin syringe put 1/2 mil into their mouth. It is a wonderful thing to google. Anti biotic, antiviral, antifungal, antiretroviral. We are worried now about an outbreak of Maerks and the first thing I did when I had a sick hen unidentifeable symptoms is take her away and give everyone else in their water and food the Olive Leaf Extract. And pray like crazy. You can get capsule and liquid of Olive Leaf Extract.

5. GretchenM

Mar 7, 2011
    I've never heard of olive leaf extract! I will definitely look for some -- thank you so much.

6. GretchenM

Mar 7, 2011
    Update:
    Westley seems to be doing about the same -- still protecting that eye regularly, and nodding off on his feet occasionally, but nothing seems to be getting worse, and no new symptoms. So I think I'll just let him be unless and until anything gets worse.

Thank you so much for your interest and suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by