Does my setup sound ok?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wyo-helpmeet, May 13, 2009.

1. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    I plan on 6 chickens (starting out as day olds in a brooder). The coop has 2 nesting boxes & 12' worth of roost, the coop is 6X6' with a window. The run is 10X16' with a doghouse that we're leaving (too darn heavy & bulky to move, LOL, so we're going to hinge the side for cleanup & egg collecting should they lay in there). Our yard is fairly decent sized, not huge, but they will be allowed to free-range in our backyard for a few-several hours a day. The run will be for when we can't be here to keep an eye on them. The run has been planted/modified & seeded for grass, then 1/3 or so of it is going to be dirt. It's covered in chain link and/or chicken wire. I mean this isn't ALL the details, but from what I keep reading, they should have plenty of room & the basis of what they need out there.

I keep reading all these posts on chicken neglect & cruelty, and I just want to be sure my chickens are going to have room (they'll of course be loved- we're super excited & looking forward to moving further off the mainstream lifestyle). Please tell me I'm doing ok so far. [​IMG]

PS- I put this here since it's more than just about my coop/run design. [​IMG]

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    You coop/run sizes are great! The 2 nest boxes for 6 hens is just fine, so sounds like your reading has paid off!! [​IMG]

3. wyo-helpmeet

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    Thank you! I'm so nervous waiting for the approval/officer to come out. [​IMG]

4. wyo-helpmeet

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    OHOHOH!!! I just got a call from her. She said she's never done a chicken coop inspection before & to bear with her as she's doing some research of her own. She said *hopefully* she'll have everything she needs to call me wednesday and make arrangements to come out & look. She also said she'll let me know what she's looking for before she comes out.

Oh my tummy is wrenching & turning. It's coming! It's coming! I'm so nervous!!!

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  5. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You have to get your coop inspected?

6. wyo-helpmeet

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    Quote:I don't make the laws or rules [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Sounds to me like you have everything under control and the perfect size and nest boxes. As far as planting grass. The birds will scratch it up. That is their favorite past time as well as digging holes. lol. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. wyo-helpmeet

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    ACO just called & as soon as I get home from taking my daycare girl for pics (hopefully between 10-11MST), I have to call to let her know I'm here & ready!!!!!

I think I'm going to throw up now, LOL

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  9. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    Where do you live that you need an inspection? And yes, I second the grass thing... the chickens will definitely tear it all up. However, for the first week or so, the new grass you planted will be a tasty treat for them [​IMG]

10. wyo-helpmeet

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    WE GOT IT!!! WE GOT IT!!! WE GOT IT!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by