Does my Silkie think my Frizzle is its baby?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msgenie516, Dec 20, 2008.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

For the last two days, I have seen something very puzzling going on in the coop.

In a corner where some Silkies usually "hang out" (because there are usually some eggs there, and YOU KNOW how they LOVE eggs), I have been finding one of my Silkies actually sitting right on top of my Frizzle! The Frizzle does not look upset but I think it is a little odd--I have never seen anything like it before!

Luckily, the Silkie is very light so I don't think she could harm the Frizzle. I believe the Frizzle is part Silkie, as she has 5 toes and has always acted like a Silkie. But she is about the same size as the Silkie and I don't know if the Silkie could possibly think this is her baby!

This just started happening so I'm not positive if the Silkie is broody but it is very likely, as I have 7 Silkie hens and it seems that there is at least one broody one at any given time. Could it be possible the Frizzle is broody also? I have seen broody hens staying together, but never with one RIGHT ON TOP of the other. I mean, she really covers this Frizzle so she can hardly be seen.

Thanks for any input! Genie

2. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    I have no clue but, thats too cute!!!

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG] Sounds so cute, like she is trying to keep her warm !!

Is the frizzle younger than the silkie ? Is the frizzle sitting on any eggs and then the silkie is sitting on top ?

4. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:It is cute! [​IMG]

I think the Frizzle may have been attempting to lay (she has been a pretty good layer) or she could have been sitting on some eggs (it is a favorite laying spot) but I couldn't see under them at the time to make sure and I didn't want to disturb them.

The Frizzle is younger than the Silkie. The Silkies were full-grown and laying in April (when I got them) and the Frizzle was probably born just about then.

Thanks for your reply! Genie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by