Does my solitary house rooster need a hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shanadienne, Feb 5, 2017.

1. shanadienne

shanadienne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    Massachusetts, USA
    Awkward question, but while I've had house hens, I've never kept a rooster separate from the flock for an extended period of time, and I am wondering if he needs access to a hen to mate with. I don't know if he's getting frustrated/uncomfortable over time, if you know what I mean.

(Edit: in case anyone wonders, he's indoors because of frostbite)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mine occasionally get frostbite and I leave them in the coop to heal. Your rooster will be fine without conjugal visits. Removing him from the flock and keeping him in a warmer environment might cause more troubles than him not mating.

3. shanadienne

Jan 10, 2013
    Massachusetts, USA
    We did that at first, but it's his toes and some of the hens just would not leave his bandage alone, like cats with a laser pointer.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    He will be fine without mating. I have kept roosters separated for months from the hens.

A few of my roosters have lost toes over the years. It can help to have wider roosts so they can cover their toes better at night, otherwise they hang out and get frostbite. They also don't tuck their head under a wing at night like the hens do so they often get frostbite on the combs and wattles too. Winter is harder on roosters than hens.

5. shanadienne

Jan 10, 2013
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah, definitely. I've had plenty of roosters with frostbitten combs and wattles; this little guy (very large bantam) is the first one to have issues with his toes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by