does nasty breed nasty?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by klf73, Sep 19, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I would never usually even consider using a mean bird, and really not ever even keep one BUT....I have a rare breed which means I can't just grab a new one. I have 2 pairs. I am keeping the mean one ONLY if something should happen to my nice one..... I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a genetic link to temperment? I mean this thing is insane. He gets handled twice a day and carried around, the whole time he is looking for a place to peck at you. I have never had them this crazy this young [​IMG] He is probably 3 months old now and he is starting to hurt. My two pairs aren't closely related but I am thinking two are brother/sister because although the pullet isn't aggressive she is a bit on the crazy side too. This is a breed I have for eye candy and really don't care if I can handle them when they are full grown, I just like them to be nice enough to the kids and us just in case we need to go in the run for anything. Right now he is looking like he is going to have a small apartment all his own [​IMG] . I just didn't know if there was a chance it wasn't inheritable.....

Maybe the breed will be more common down the line and I can get a nice roo for a later generation....

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I have heard many times that nasty is inherited. Just don't know if there's proof of it anywhere.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Show hime a big AX and ask him does he wants to push you? Go ahead make my day!!

4. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    I had a nasty rooster, great to hens, monster to us. We hatched out a roo from him, and he was the best. Great to his hens, aloof around us,but never even attempted to even threaten us. We switched out roosters.

If you hatch out roosters, just watch and wait. Keep the one with the best temperment. Genetics can be a crapshoot. I just shake my head when people say mean breeds mean. It doesn't always.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by