1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does neutering a male dog keep him from running away?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by muscovy94, Dec 14, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Does it? Because when I was a kid i had 2 dogs. a boy and a girl. They girl stayed and never left no matter what, but the boy was always running and comming home every few weeks, and stopped coming home at all. both dogs were not fixed, so do unneutered dogs have a higher chance of running away?

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Absolutely. However i've found male dogs in general to be more prone to 'selective deafness'. Men too for that matter.

3. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

most definately. same with cats. Having pets fixed makes them so much better pets. I think it also makes them calmer. Less frustration.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    no...nor does it stop him from humping-peeing and pooping in the house-chewing everything in sight-nor running after the chickens!

My jerkwad is still alive after all of this-if he wasnt so cute and if I didnt know for a fact that it will stop eventually hed be gone or dead!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It definately makes a difference as long as you do it when they're young and haven't already developed the habit of running around.

6. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:well, you DO have a chihuahua and a cocker. whaddya expect? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    we had a chocolate lab he just passed recently but we werent gonna get him neutered but when he got older he always followed my dads truck when he left and would stop down the road at our neighbors and they would call us we went down and got him and after that went on for awhile we decided to just get him fixed and he never ran away again of course it made him rly fat and lazy but we also got a female chocolate lab now that we got spayed and she is 2-3 yrs old and the most hyper active stubbern animal ive ever seen

8. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    the reason i ask is because i plan on adopting a beagle mix puppy from the humane society, he is pure black and cute and was wondering if we got him neutered if he would want to run around and look for females or run away with some male dogs. We have a lot of dogs in our neighborhood. Or would it just be better to get a female?

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:[​IMG]

IMO it helps a lot. But some dogs (just like people) are just roamers. I think it depends on how bored they are, how old they are, how interactive they are with their people or livestock, the breed, their personality, etc. In other words, it's not an instant cure, but it would probably help.

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Quote:It would be better to get a fenced yard. Loose hound = lost hound/dead hound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by