Does Nystatin work

Lavender6

Songster
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY
Has anyone had experience with Nystatin? I have been fighting sour crop with my Blue orpington for 8 months. I have exhausted all possibilities. I have an appointment with the vet today.
I pray that it works. I have 2 girls with it. I was going to have them euthanized until the tech told me I couldn't be there because it might get "ugly." I called another vet and they told me the same thing. I just can't do it but I have limited funds. A visit and some meds is the best I can do for her but ex-rays are beyond my means.
I don't want to loose them. Please tell me this works! Thanks guys.

How old are these two sour crop hens? Are they laying? What is their feed? Has it been carefully inspected for any mold? How about water? Do you add anything to it? Is it changed often?

What have you tried to treat the sour crop with?

My article on crop disorders has instructions on treatment, and also what you might do for stubborn cases. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Actually I went to the vet and found out they have E. Coli. It has been going on for MONTHS. She prescribed tylan powder and the Nystatin to give to the chickens. Mt Vet said they probably have had it since I first bought them as pullets. I pick the meds up today at one.
She said I didn't have to seperate them and could just let them live normally but I kept them up at feeding time because their crops are full. I am wondering how long the Tylan powder will take to start working

I don’t think that Tylan is a very powerful antibiotic for treating E.coli. Usually amoxicillin or even better, enrofloxacin (Baytril) which is banned in chickens, is prescribed for E.coli infection of the reproductive tract and for air sacculitis, a complication from respiratory disease. Could the vet have meant the Tylan to treat mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) to prevent an E.coli complication? Tylan is fine to use for a respiratory disease, but just not the greatest again E.coli.

No she said something like she had 1000 units of E.coli. I think she said units, anyway it was really bad. Do I have to have an RX for Baytril?

I don’t think that Tylan is a very powerful antibiotic for treating E.coli. Usually amoxicillin or even better, enrofloxacin (Baytril) which is banned in chickens, is prescribed for E.coli infection of the reproductive tract and for air sacculitis, a complication from respiratory disease. Could the vet have meant the Tylan to treat mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) to prevent an E.coli complication? Tylan is fine to use for a respiratory disease, but just not the greatest again E.coli.
And how is it given? Injection? In water? I don't know how much longer she can go without getting food to digest

No she said something like she had 1000 units of E.coli. I think she said units, anyway it was really bad. Do I have to have an RX for Baytril?
I purchase enrofloxacin (Baytril) from allbirdproducts.com without having Rx
This is given by mouth to each individual bird using a syringe (without a needle).

Back
Top Bottom