1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does one of these Red/Amber sex-links look like a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cindyanne1, May 19, 2009.

1. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    These chicks are approximately a week, maybe a week and a half, old. I know males are lighter than females, but does the lighter chick look like a male to you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I don't think so. The males are WHITE. Like really, really white, not light yellow and the wing feathers coming in don't look stark white to me. We had one that looked like that in our RSLs and she turned out to be an orange color and the rest are dark red. The kids call her Pumpkin. I call her Reba. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  3. noplacebo

noplacebo Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Waratah, Newcastle
    I believe the sex links come in four genetic "shades" of female, all of which are amber/white, so you should see a fair difference in the colour of the girls [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The girls do come in varying shades, but considering that most yellow chicks feather out white, I'd say it's possible that one is male.

5. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Thank you for the replies!

I'm torn on what I'm hoping for. Another hen is always good... but my son is really hoping this little 'un is a roo. He's already named it Cornelius (Corny) and calls it "his little guy." He's basing his assumptions that it's a male from the pictures on this site:

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/redsexlink.html

but I know sometimes it's difficult to really tell from pictures.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see! [​IMG] I've already told my son we just don't know yet... but we have for sure two roos on order that will be coming soon (a black Australorp and a brown Leghorn) so my son will at least get his "little guy" from those, lol.

6. chickd

chickd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Does anyone know what a amber link is a cross of

7. chinkingpox

chinkingpox New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    Amber Sex Link Chickens are created by crossing a Rhode Island Red Chicken and a white Plymouth Rock Chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by