Does Only ONE Chicken Need A Coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amitist, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Amitist

Amitist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    As some of you may know, I only have one chicken for the moment and I started to think that maybe it doesn't need to be in the coop at night ( since it will be all alone). I was thinking that maybe I could keep it inside in a brooder ( The brooder is big, and it could easily fit a RIR Pullet). It would have enhanced security and stuff... Could you people help me?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She'd be OK as a house chicken for a spell, but she needs some friends ASAP. Get her some diapers and let her be an indoor bird for a while. Remember to supply her with grit if she's going to be inside for a while. She'll need it if she doesn't have access to an outdoor run. Good luck.

3. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    I'm sure it'd be fine but like the above post said, get her some buddies. [​IMG] Chickens are really social critters.

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I agree, she needs friends! She will need protection from wind, rain, sever cold, predators--enough room for her to move around in comfortably.. EVEN if it's only a heavy doghouse w/ a secure door, surrounded by a secure fence.. If you have a secure, safe for her during the day, you could use large dog crate at night.. BUT work on finding her some friends---ones that are as close to her same size/age would be best... Good luck

5. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    If you have a porch or covered patio, maybe you could get her a little setup going there. It doesn't have to be anything big and fancy.

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I agree, she needs friends! She will need protection from wind, rain, sever cold, predators--enough room for her to move around in comfortably.. EVEN if it's only a heavy doghouse w/ a secure door, surrounded by a secure fence.. If you have a secure, safe for her during the day, you could use large dog crate at night.. BUT work on finding her some friends---ones that are as close to her same size/age would be best... Good luck

7. buildingmyark

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Do you have a covered patio or porch? If so, maybe could do a little setup for her there. It doesn't have to be big and fancy. Also, I agree you should get her a few friends!

8. buildingmyark

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Do you have a covered patio or porch? If so, maybe could do a little setup for her there. It doesn't have to be big and fancy. Also, I agree you should get her a few friends!

9. buildingmyark

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    SO SORRY!!! I know I tried to post at lest twice. I didn't realize that it was actually working! The page looked like it was still busy so I pressed
    "SUBMIT" a few times too many. SORRY again for my little malfunction! I promise... I didn't think my comment was that important!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by