Does only the dominant rooster crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hallerlake, Jul 18, 2011.

1. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I have three little cockerels. Only one crows. If I removed him, would another start crowing?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 3....the dominant one crows all the time, the next braver one has re-started (he stopped for a while, while the dominant took over) the last one, I rarely ever hear crow...if you remove the one, the other should definately start to crow...he will be in charge.

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    The funny thing is the cockerel in the next enclosure has never crowed. He's the only cockerel in his little flock.

4. Ifowldown

Ifowldown Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    I have three roosters, and all of them seem to crow anytime they want, and the others don't seem to care.

I think one is a special needs rooster though. He only gets about half of a crow out each time, and then just fades out. He is also the one that thinks he is breeding the hens, but doesn't seem to realize he is just not quite there.

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have three roosters, the top two crow all the time and the third never crows. He is new to the flock so they also might be a reason

6. ChickenLord

ChickenLord Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    I have just one rooster, and have finally found my remedy to reduce his crowing... thank the Heavens, he's loud.

7. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I have 2, they both crow the same but the one (a d'Uccle) doesnt normally crow when there is people around but the other (OEGB) doesnt care either way.

8. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:My OEGB roo is exactly like that! He cant crow all the way and he likes to THINK he's doin his business but doesnt quite get there. Doesnt help the hens are 3x bigger then him!

9. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:And how is that? water hose? LOL jk

10. Tarab

Tarab New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    What is your remedy to curing the crowing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by