Does organic feed provide all necessary things for laying?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 64Galaxie, Feb 26, 2015.

1. 64Galaxie

64Galaxie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2014
    CT
    Right now, I pay $15 for a 50lb bag of organic feed. I don't have a pic of the label but I know it has oats, molasses, cracked corn, and 16% protein. It also has some other stuff. Does that provide them enough for them to lay? I do feed mealworms which is 53% protein. Also, my dad thinks that the orange poop has something to do with the organic feed. Is that normal from organic feed? My barred rock stopped laying 2 weeks after switching to organic and hasn't laid since, not sure if they are connected in anyway. The commercial feed that I used to get was Poulin Grain. Thanks

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    In my opinion, it really depends on what brand you are feeding and what all the ingredients are. There are good organic feeds out there and some not so good.

3. BathrobeGardner

BathrobeGardner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Altadena, California
    I have always fed organic feed for all my chickens right from when they are born and it has not stopped laying at all. I use Modesto Milling organic foods which runs about $33 for a 50lb bag. I also supplement with organic sunflower seeds as a treat and extra omegas etc. I also grow organic vegetables which I give them. I don't give kitchen scraps a lot and even then I will only give them wheat bread and healthy stuff. $15 for a 50lb bag seems rather cheap but I don't know where you live so it's possible I am just paying California prices lol. Try giving them a little buttermilk. My girls love it and when I give them that with the sunflower seeds, they just thrive. Good luck.

4. 64Galaxie

Oct 26, 2014
    CT
    Wow, that's really cool that you grow your own foods for them. We have a garden too but I'm not sure if my dad will give them anything. Maybe if we have extras, or bad vegetables. I live in Connecticut. Not sure if $15 is good around here either. All I know is that he has around 50-70 Red Stars and that's all he feeds them and he has no problems. I just wasn't sure if switching was a downgrade or an upgrade for them. All my other chickens are laying just not that one barred rock. Maybe it has been too cold for her or something. Is there a way to tell cheap organic food from good? Will taking a picture of the label help?

5. BathrobeGardner

Jun 25, 2013
    Altadena, California
    These are the ingredients in the the feed I use. If its only 1 hen not laying, then I wouldn't worry about it.

* Organic Layer Pellets or Crumbles #5998

[​IMG]
    Use:
    Layer pellets are formulated to be a complete feed, but are also useful as part of a pasture-based diet. Layer pellets can be fed starting at 15-18 weeks of age.

Ingredients :Organic corn, organic soybean meal, organic wheat, limestone, organic sun-dried alfalfa, organic flaxseed, Redmond conditioner (clay), organic wheat millrun, organic kelp meal, monocalcium phosphate, diatomaceous earth, Redmond salt, DL Methionine, poultry vitamin & mineral premix, organic garlic granules, organic horseradish powder, organic star anise oil, organic juniper berry oil
    Guaranteed analysis: Crude protein min 17%, crude fat 3.4%, crude fiber max 4.8%, ash max 17.8%

6. 64Galaxie

Oct 26, 2014
    CT
    OK, will look into that. How much is that for a 50lb bag? I would be able to have a farm order that for me. What is the name of the company?

7. BathrobeGardner

Jun 25, 2013
    Altadena, California
    The company is Modesto Milling. If you order directly from the company I think its about $24 for a 50 lb bag but the shipping charges will knock your socks off :) You can go on their website and see if they have a distributor where you live. If the feed you are using works for your dad then I wouldn't worry so much. Once, when I couldn't get my usual feed and had to buy a different brand of organic food, my hens started laying misshapen eggs or no eggs and one egg even had a lot of blood in it (which is something that had never happened before or since). Once I went back to my original feed, everything became normal again. I think your barred rock might just be taking her time adjusting to the new feed.

8. BathrobeGardner

Jun 25, 2013
    Altadena, California
    Also, as an aside, my chickens are never sick, have had no diseases and I have never medicated them so I personally would never feed anything other than organic. The price I pay is worth not having to pay a vet's bill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by