Does Prozap (poultry & garden dust) work as well as Sevin (for mites)?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NHchicks, Apr 3, 2011.

1. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    That's what my feed store carries.

I see Lowes does carry the Sevin-5 5% Insecticide - is that the chicken dust product?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. splinter

splinter New Egg

Jan 15, 2011
    Leave the chemicals alone. Get yourself some food grade DM and apply it in their feathers and sprinkle it in their coop and you will never see a mite again............Good luck

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There are completely safe, organic choices. I'd also leave Sevin alone.

Johnny Seeds website. Great resource.

4. NHchicks

May 13, 2010
    Fred's Hens :

There are completely safe, organic choices. I'd also leave Sevin alone.

There are so many different opinions flying around, my head is spinning. I wish we could all agree on one treatment plan. [​IMG]

I order from Johnny's for seeds, etc. I'll check their website.

Edit: Unless I'm missing something, I'm not seeing much there.​

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  5. Fred's Hens

As long as there are more than two people, there will be four opinions.

If you really want nasty insecticides on your food and/or hens, it's all legal. I'm just saying there are scientific, insecticides, not homeopathic remedies, but true insecticides that are safer to use. It's a free country. Mostly.[​IMG]

6. NHchicks

May 13, 2010
    Given the choice, I'm very pro-organic and I HATE chemicals.

But I want my pets to be healthy, so I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

7. Fred's Hens

Simply put. Sevin is not your only choice, even if you are non-organic.

8. beofswiftfeet

beofswiftfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    timblin pa
    hello all and pray all are okay on the east coast and pray for those who have lost loved ones, property, who had to go through this. We had lot of high wind and rain but nothing as there.
    A question regarding mites. I use the DM, how is best to use for mites on chickens. I have applied to one I am nursing to health applied last week and this week-ruffled feathers and massaged onto skin as best could but still some mites. I hold him as feed and only on left arm do I see a couple, not many and none on chest or legs or other arm. hmmmm. In caring for him, I make sure his crop is full but dumb question do I massage it a bit, hold him for awhile after eating (he cannot stand though his legs and wings work). He eats well the moistioned crumble and I dropper feed elec/vitamins along with water. But as he stays on his side want to make sure all is working okay. I tried making a donut for him to sit on with legs going in hole but he would have none of that jumping and flapping until out and on side. I know should I put him down, no-and perhaps ones do not agree with me and that is okay. He responds when I come in to room, kicking his feet and wing that is up to turn toward my voice. He eats on his own the food like a champ. If he can hang in there, why should I say no. oh the crumble, I am not force feeding and as for the dropper, he opens his mouth lets me place in then waits and opens mouth again when he is ready. not a stressful type of breathing. sorry so long. thank you all, let me know of the DM or other natural way to take care of mites marilyn

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Try wood ash.. The remnants of the wood burned in a wood stove. Found a cheaper way to make use of the leftovers from my heating source. Works great! I make their own dusting pool.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by