Does Rooster behavior indicate hens about to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DigitalEd, Dec 2, 2012.

1. DigitalEd

DigitalEd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Hey all,
    Does a rooter trying to do the "deed" with hens indicate those hens are about to start laying eggs?

I'm wondering about the two cases:
    1) Young pullets that haven't ever laid eggs. The roo is no longer ignoring them. Does that mean they are close to starting to lay?
    2) Older hens that have been molting. The roo is no longer ignoring them. Does that mean they are close to starting to lay again?

The roo was pretty much ignoring them completely ("deed" wise that is) before.

Anybody know?

----- Ed

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If they are actively squatting for him to mate them, then yes - they are getting ready to lay. If he is having to chase them around, then no.

3. DigitalEd

DigitalEd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Well, even when they (the old hens) were laying the roo still had to chase them around, grab them by the necks and more.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    In larger, artificial social groups, for me it is hard to read based on rooster behavior whether a given female is about to commence laying. Within harems, the harem master (dominant rooster) wille force himself into a tight spot suitable as a nesting site making tidbitting like sounds while in front of the female nearing the point of lay for a clutch. He may do this multiple times during the coarse of a day and it starts a couple days before first egg is layed.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by