1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does Rooster breed have to match?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LewisFamily, Nov 14, 2013.

1. LewisFamily

LewisFamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawkins, Texas
    Hey all,

I have a smallish flock compared to some. I have 14 Sexlinks, 4 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and 5 RIR's. All Hens. I am thinking of getting a roo, but which breed?! Does it have to be one of the breeds I currently own? Or can it be whatever breed I want? There is a yr old Silver Laced near me I was thinking of picking up, but not sure how to proceed! Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Any breed would be fine, though there are some rooster breeds that are meaner than others. Also be wary that some roosters can be more rough towards your hens, if your new rooster injures them too much you should either separate them, give the roo away, or it could go to the cooking pot.

3. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    It depends on what you want. If your not looking to breed a specific breed then you dont need to match the roo & hen :)

4. LewisFamily

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawkins, Texas
    I read some are aggressive to hens, kids, me. But how the heck do I know which breeds are like that? It seemed a 50/50 chance of getting a goodin or a badin. How are Silver Laced roos? Or is it really hingent on each individual roo?

5. LewisFamily

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawkins, Texas
    Im not looking to breed right now. Maybe in a year or so once I get a few full seasons under our belts. Mainly for protection and as corny as it sounds, the full effect of raising a flock. I want to hear the roo crow. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Veer67

This breed page might help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wyandottes-chicken-breed-page

7. PheasantsFirst

PheasantsFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    some breeds are tend to better then others but it really depends on the bird it's self. I think the breed your talking about is usually good. But roosters are a dime a dozen, so if you got a bad one you could replace him easily.

8. LewisFamily

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawkins, Texas
    Thanks! Ill let you know how he works out.

9. Veer67

Good luck!

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is the roo you're looking at full grown?
    Can you go look at him?
    Then you could maybe tell if he's human aggressive.

From all that I've read, I think it totally depends on the individual roo and that aggression can be hereditary so you don't want to hatch out of an aggressive roo.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by