We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Does salt kill red mites on chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pekin747, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    I heard this can help kill red mites ON chickens is this true or false and if true how is it put on just in salt bath?

2. ZooAtHome

ZooAtHome Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    NW Oregon
    I've never heard of salt killing mites, but I have heard that too much salt can be dangerous for chickens because their bodies aren't good at eliminating the excess.

Helloworld likes this.
  3. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I have never heard that either. I'm doubtful that it would work. Usually the best products to use are permethrin based, or Elector PSP which is spinosad (and very expensive). I'm not sure what is available in Ireland, I would call around and ask. I did find this, may help:
    https://www.owlpestcontrol.ie/do-yo...-insects-products/liquid-residual-insecticide
    You have to treat the birds and treat and clean out the coop, at least twice-maybe more at weekly intervals to kill the mites and the eggs that hatch.
    Permethrin is relatively safe, but toxic to bees (and other beneficial insects), aquatic animals/fish and cats.

Compost King likes this.
  4. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    I dont have mites but I wanted to see if this was an actual thing or not incase I ever do have this problem and need to cure them

5. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Well, if you ever DO have them you are probably not going to want to mess around. Much better to use something that you know is going to work. I would hate to do all that work and then have to just start all over if it didn't. I think if it was actually effective then we would be hearing a lot more about it. But like the DE myth, some of them just won't die.

6. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    Put diatomaceous earth on legs. Mites run through it and the silica cuts them up. I put about a cup in their favorite dust hole and have never had an issue. I raise feathered legged birds too.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many have tried DE without any success, and it also can be dangerous for lungs and eyes. Many countries have banned the insectisides that work against mites and lice. If one has never had a mite or lice problem, they can use anything, and say that it works. I never saw anything on my birds for years, until a friend brought a rare breed cockerel over, and turned him loose before I could look him over. Big mistake. Now, I have been trying ivermectin pour-on on the base of the neck over the spine 0.1 ml per pound, and it has had good results. There is always the coop clean-out, roost and nest treatment with permethrin, and replacing bedding that has to be done as well. Some have had success with sulfur powder, and Nustock Cream has sulfur in it, which is good for many things. Neem oil is safe, but has to be applied often. The best way to go is to not get them in the first place, LOL.

coach723 likes this.
  8. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    Okay I have had mites in the past like many many other chicken keepers and long story short toke me 5 different thing to cure them and om trying g to find the names of the stuff I used keep in mind I used all the products just like the instructions said if it said apply multiple time I used for 2 weeks if it stayed 1 time use then i only put it on them 1once
    And I used different things for the cops aswell and I clean all my birds out some every second day and the longest Is 1once every 2 or 3 weeks and i replace the bedding every second day
    But it was salt and dish soap that I found that worked that one time but not on anything with frather legs and I havent tried it enough to confirm it wasnt letting them out into bigger pastures or providing different types of baths and more baths etc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: