Does Scratch and cracked corn reduce Egg Laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CiceroChickenMan, Oct 29, 2008.

1. CiceroChickenMan

CiceroChickenMan New Egg

Jul 15, 2008
    I have been giving my hens scratch and cracked corn, will this keep them from laying?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    good question..i also heard that somewhere on here..but, i'd like to know if it is true or not..thanks, Wendy

3. CiceroChickenMan

CiceroChickenMan New Egg

Jul 15, 2008
    It would explain alot, I give mine scratch and cracked corn 2 or 3 times a day. I like to spoil them, but maybe I have been hurting them.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Been feeding scratch grains every day since the weather cooled, about two weeks ago.
    I've had two new layers since then. For a total of 12 layers, four to go.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  5. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    One of the bad things that I have heard about scratch or cracked corn is just to not give them too much of it in the warm months because it raises their body temps too much and then they can suffer from heat exhaustion. [​IMG]

6. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    My two young hens lay every day. I give them scratch in the afternoons. They always have layers pellets available and free range.

7. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Mine get scratch daily. Just not too much of it. They started laying two weeks ago, and I'm getting 5 eggs a day now. I think 6 or 7 are laying.

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Where in the world do ideas like this come from??

9. mlmadura

mlmadura Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    ms
    mine get mainly layer pellets with some cracked corn thrown in because they are piggies - they also get oatmeal and greens daily - spoiled little critters!

10. mlmadura

mlmadura Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    ms
    i read in a chicken care guide the thing about scratch causing the temps to rise - ive actually see it several places

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by