Does she look old enough to lay???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dizzle's chicks, Dec 12, 2011.

1. dizzle's chicks

dizzle's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    I have been reading online and having the BYC family tell me that when the waddle and the comb is red and floppy its a sign that the hen is ready to lay. She is a brown leghorn named Foxy Brown and she is born on June 7th. she free ranges all day with her friends. I have been checking around the backyard and found nothing. Forgot to add that i recently introduced three new chickens to the current flock of five. the three younger chickens were born on September 7th. I hope that didn't mess anything up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I would think she's old enough to lay but I don't know much about leghorns. She's very pretty. When she starts squatting for you, she's getting closer. Mine started laying about a week after the first squat. Good luck!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Leghorns are kind of flighty and the whole squat thing may not happens for you at all. Leghorns usually start laying 20-22 weeks old. That girl looks ready but without 14 hours of daylight, she most likely won't until spring when the days are longer.

4. Creaking pines kids

Creaking pines kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    NC
    She looks old enough to lay to me. Hope you get your first egg soon!

5. OC closet chicken fan

OC closet chicken fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    so. cal orange county
    funny name...
    i have a brown leghorn just like yours...born in the same month too... her comb flops to her right side... still no eggs from any of my chickens yet..... [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She actually looks like a hen that is already laying. Watch where she goes when you let her out of the coop in the morning.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

8. OC closet chicken fan

OC closet chicken fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    so. cal orange county
    hey dizzle... just curious... has she started laying yet? mine started around christmas time...nice jumbo white eggs almost daily... very annoying egg song but finally laying [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by