Does she need a light?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MakNat, Dec 15, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    My sweet little bantam hen just hatched all 9 eggs!! I have her in a pretty good sized cage in the barn. For safety. Draft free. 18 degrees in there. I know she'll keep the chicks warm, but will she be warm enough? Its pretty dark in there, even during the day.? She sounds a little snotty, will the chcks catch colds too??

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I would give her a light and maybe a heat light too.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would definitely keep a heat lamp in there. If a chick wanders too far, it will catch a chill quick in those temps. Better to have more than they need, than not enough.

Chickens don't catch colds, they get diseases (many of which are contagious). Can you explain your hens 'snottiness' more? Is it chest congestion, nasal drainage? If she is sick, she will likely pass it on to the chicks. They have already been exposed if that is your question. Heat (in comfortable temps) does help keep stress levels down, which help keep immune systems up.

Good luck with the new babies.

4. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Thats what I thought too. I will set a light up today!! No visible snot. She just sounds a little congested. Acts and looks fine though. I put a drop or two of VetRx on her head.?.. How long should I keep her in there with them 4 weeks, would be my guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by