1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does she sound broody to you?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickencrazy999, Feb 18, 2014.

1. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Hello so I have 2 hens 1 which is a silkie called Muffin and I know for sure that she is broody and then I have a banty hen called Tilly but I am not sure about her she hasn't layed an egg in a few days and has stayed on the nest over night she has been coming off a few times and makes a low clucking noise when I go near her and a squawk but not the same as my broody silkie. At first I thought she was trying to lay an egg but she hasn't yet do you think she could be broody or egg bound she has also got a few feathers in her nest and tucks an egg under her when I give it to her what do you think? here is a link to a youtube video of her : Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    sounds broody to me

3. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Ok thanks I have just checked her and she has plucked out her breast feathers I am planning on setting eggs under them at the beginning of march do you think that is ok ?

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Can you give her eggs sooner? The sooner the better. That would have her broody for 5 weeks if you wait till March.

5. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    No Sorry I mean the 4-5 of march I am planning on giving her the eggs so that's two weeks from today I am guessing do you think that's ok as I am not aloud to hatch until march they are both eating and drinking fine and are sitting happily on there fake eggs also I am planning on putting 9 bantam eggs under them also do you think I should keep them together or apart when I set them?

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It will be 5 weeks total by the time the eggs hatch.
    That's a long time but it usually works.
    Why aren't you allowed to hatch till March?

7. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Because I do not have a mature rooster and the eggs that I am getting arnt availiable until March thanks

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    OK that makes sense. The word 'allowed' had me confused.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by