1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does size really matter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bow-chicka-bow-bow, Jul 30, 2011.

1. bow-chicka-bow-bow

bow-chicka-bow-bow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    So, I have at least 1 of my 8 ladies laying eggs. :yaThere was a week between the first one and the second and now it is approx every 2 days or so. So, she is becoming more regular. The first egg was rather large and did have 2 yolks in it. After that, the rest have been rather small. So, with time, will she start to lay larger eggs or is this now the size that this particular chicken will lay? Just wondering. Nothing wrong with small eggs, but would like to at least have some that are medium or a bit larger.

2. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Depending on the breed of course, young chickens lay what is commonly referred to as "pullet bullets", tiny eggs. As they work out the kinks and their system starts kicking on all cylinders, they typically get larger and more regular. But I've heard the whole process can take months. I've also heard others, usually late bloomers, have chickens who started laying good sized eggs from the beginning. So...breed determined? I dunno...fun to watch though!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Over the next couple of months they will get bigger. You may also see another jump in egg size after their first molt. (12-18 months depending on when they hatched)

4. bow-chicka-bow-bow

bow-chicka-bow-bow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know if I should be doing anything or not. It is one of my Black sex-linked that has started laying. They are around 19 weeks now and we just went out to check on them again and she had just layed another egg. So we are almost to the point of getting 1 egg a day. Another pullet bullet! But hey, it is an egg! [​IMG]

Thanks again for the info. I learn something new here every day.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by