Feb 23, 2018
Its my first time hatching eggs. I have a pullet which have just started laying...she lays small eggs than regular egg for her breed(as she ispullet). And i know that those egg are fertil as i also have a rooster n she mates with him. My question is can i give her,her own eggs to hatch they are just lil small eggs does that mean it will have any problem...or have a small chick.

Being small chicks is not a problem grown small at adulthood is part of worry for me.

Thankzz for all your replies it really helped.

The chickens i have are native indian chicken's dont know their name specifically...this are little similar to game bird..and very often go broody...they dont lay much eggs (about 15-20 or some more and go broody) so i m sure my pullet will go broody after some more eggs..! I have planned to set her the other chicken eggs which are good sized.!!

This is it..and other replies and advices are appreciated

Attachments

• 20180313_000820.jpg
    20180313_000820.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 36
Pullet eggs normally quit long before any chicks are anywhere near viable but it isn't impossible. There are however breeds that will always lay a smaller egg despite being a larger breed even into full maturity and hatch full sized chicks just fine. But as has been noted if your girl isn't broody hatching won't happen unless you're using an incubator. :)
I know this is old, but I have a hatch where 95% of the pullet eggs (from their FIRST week of laying so TRUE early eggs) are viable and it’s a few days before hatch. I don’t know if I’d go so far as to say that they “normally” quit because that is not my experience. They seem to be as viable as any other eggs.

Also, not all pullet eggs are small in my experience but they’re irregular I think. One of my pullets that’s a tiny bantam laid an egg that was like a large grocery store egg. It wasn’t a double yolker either. Each egg she laid last week was a different size and shape. Some were skinny. Some fat. Just plain irregular. Her very first egg was small but not necessarily the ones after that. My other pullet’s eggs have not changed shape or general appearance since her first egg but the size has gotten more regular. I think you see a mixture of things happen but the main outcome is increased regularity as they age in my experience.

But I would disagree with anyone who says they are more likely to be quitters or are less viable because that is not my experience. One of the ones that appears will be hatching (it’s on day 15 incubation) is a two week old egg (it sat for 2 weeks pre-incubation) that is the first egg my pullet laid, and it’s developing right along the rest of them. So I would say the viability is determined by other factors not whether it’s a small, large, or early egg.

I agree with @aart that the embryo size will be controlled by egg size at that stage of development. Small eggs = small and possibly more fragile chicks but not less viable eggs in my opinion.

I'm not sure that is true.
Wouldn't chick size be relative to yolk size...which is proportional to shell size?

Quite possibly.

Folks around me trying to hatch pullet eggs ended up with late quitters while full sized eggs in the same incubator all made it.

:confused:
Just figuring there isn't enough volume for the chicks.

If I am wrong I am wrong. No science backing it up so I very well could be wrong.

Pullet eggs normally quit long before any chicks are anywhere near viable but it isn't impossible. There are however breeds that will always lay a smaller egg despite being a larger breed even into full maturity and hatch full sized chicks just fine. But as has been noted if your girl isn't broody hatching won't happen unless you're using an incubator. :)

Back
Top Bottom