Does someone have this cook book?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Sunny Side Up, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
  2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    White sauce is very easy to make, if thats what you need?

1. In a small, heavy saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat.
    2. Blend 2 tablespoons of flour into the melted butter.
    3. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
    4. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes. Cooking for this length of time will minimize 'flour' taste.
    5. Slowly add 1 cup of milk, stirring constantly.
    6. Continue cooking slowly until smooth and thickened.
    7. For thin white sauce, follow the instructions above, but use 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of flour. Thin white sauce is used in cream soups.
    8. For thick white sauce, follow the instructions above, but use 3 tablespoons of butter and 3 tablespoons of flour. Thick white sauce is used in souffl├ęs.
    9. For heavy white sauce, follow the instructions above, but use 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons of flour. Heavy white sauce is used as a binder for croquettes.
    Tips:

1. To make the standard B├ęchamel, after adding the milk to the medium white sauce recipe add 1 small onion studded with 3 cloves, a bay leaf, and a grating of nutmeg.
    2. Light stock, cream, or a combination may be used in place of the milk.
    3. Add more flavor by seasoning with celery salt, nutmeg, a teaspoon of lemon juice, onion juice, or sherry, or a few tablespoons of chopped chives or parsley .
    4. I like adding minced garlic to mine for shrimp or chicken alfredo.

• Heavy saucepan
    • 2 tbsp butter
    • 2 tbsp flour
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1 cup milk

3. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Thank you, that is helpful information. But I'd still like that particular recipe from that particular cookbook, if someone here has it and will share. I saw that cookbook at a school book fair, cannot find it at the local book stores nor at my library.

4. rdh101

rdh101 New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    I was in the same situation the other day. I looked for a long time and could not find the book I had seen. In my experince though it will be online somewhere. It may not be exactly the same but it will be around. The one I found was on http://www.mydish.co.uk/chicken-recipes. Hit up the major food websites and I'm sure you'll get lucky :)

5. PollyC

PollyC Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Hartford, Maine
    Tuna Noodle Casserole
    Loved It?
    Ingredients
      cups medium noodles (4 oz.)
      cup chopped celery
    • 1/4
      cup chopped onion
    • 1/4
      cup butter
    • 1/4
      cup all-purpose flour
    • 2 - 3
      tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
    • 2 1/4
      cups milk
      12 ounce can chunk tuna, drained
    • 1/2
      cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, chopped
    • Potato chips, optional
    [​IMG]
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In large saucepan cook noodles according to package directions. Drain; return noodles to pan.
    2. For sauce, in medium saucepan cook celery and onion in hot butter until tender. Stir in flour, mustard, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add milk all at once; cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly, whisking to remove any lumps.
    3. Gently fold sauce, tuna, and peppers into noodles. Transfer to lightly greased 1-1/2-quart baking dish. Top with chips. Bake, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes. Serves 4.

6. PollyC

PollyC Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Hartford, Maine
    is this the one you wanted

7. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    It looks very similar to the lost recipe I copied, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by