Does storing feed out of the bag make it go bad?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lysette85, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Lysette85

Lysette85 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2012
    New York
    I've heard in the past that animal feeds (particularly dog and cat) are sold in the bags they come in because it keeps the food tasting the way it should be-and that if you store your food, you should not just pour it into a container-but rather put the whole bag in the container to keep it fresher. (Plastics can also seep into the food or just make it taste different) Does anyone find this to be true with chicken feed? I can fit my 50lb bag of feed in a 10gallon aluminum can and would rather do that if I can than have to get 2 ginormous containers to fit the bags if feed and scratch in..any comments?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I keep my feed in aluminum cans and have them elevated off the ground with a pallet inside my insulated garage. Metal sweats, and thus you could be creating moldy feed if the conditions are right.
    If you are keeping the temperature and humidity right, the metal can would be fine. I use a galvanized metal waterer. I also have a plastic feed bin that I use, also off the ground. I'd not worry so much about the container, but worry about the temperature and humidity. Moldy feed can kill chickens.

So in other words I don't worry about whether I have it inside the bag anymore or not. Sometimes I keep the bag, and other times I throw it away.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  3. Lysette85

Lysette85 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2012
    New York
    Unfortunately all I have is a very old barn that I'm keeping their feed in..definitely no warmer or colder than whatever it is doing outside. If their feed does get moldy, will I be able to tell? I'm guessing I should ditch the aluminum and stick with plastic eh?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Hmm. I don't know as I haven't tried to store things outside in metal. You can try it out and see if you have a problem or not. I am a mold sniffer...I can detect mold easily by smelling. I think it makes a difference on whether it is airtight- I have had feed go moldy in my garage in two plastic bins that weren't airtight, whereas my metal cans kept the feed fresh.

5. GreenMountainEric

GreenMountainEric Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Vermont
    The biggest thing that you should worry about, is sealing the feed in. Keeping the feed in a sealed container is usually worse (unless it is in a climate controlled area). Your grain is 10-15% moisture. Sealing it in a container is a bad idea, if it is going to be in an area above 65 degrees.
    The riskier mycotoxins are virtually undetectable..... In addition to your nose, using a black light would also be a good idea. You would never smell Aflatoxin at harmful levels.

The absolute best way to store feed, is in a cool, dry, well ventilated area (in the bag). If you want to seal it in, put it in a chest freezer. That would be the best way to store it, and preserve freshness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by