1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does temperature of incubator determine sex of chicken?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by davimi, Nov 25, 2009.

1. davimi

davimi Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    I was going to incubate some eggs in the spring, but I really do not want a bunch of roosters. Is there any way to incubate the eggs so that I would get more hens?

2. BJS

BJS Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    No. Otherwise the large commercial facilities would hatch almost all hens instead of sorting them out afdter they hatch and destroying the male chicks...

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    No.

You can use that method to influence amphibians :) Want to hatch some alligators?

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Been covered a dozen times. Nope. Too high of temps or other incubating problems can end up killing off more pullets than roos so some begin to think things like that impact gender but the gender of each egg is decided by the hen at the time the egg is created. Eggs have a gender before they are even fertilized and coated in a shell. Nothing you do is going to change that.

1 person likes this.
  5. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    This subject was brought up by me like last week..i was thinking it did but then after reading much material on the subject found it only applied to reptiles. As chickens are kinda scaly you would think it would apply bun alas, no.

6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    LOL....my son was just telling me this earlier. We had decided to crank up the bator and I let him choose about 38 eggs to put in and he said " now go get on the internet and see what temperature you need to produce hens." I had to explain to him that this was an impossibility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by